7.11.10

Ever heard of Guy Fawkes?


All weekend I saw fireworks glitter the sky, Indian sweet shops bustling and seriously bedazzled women. Diwali was huge in London. And a perfect way to celebrate my foray into Indian cooking and full-on cultural immersion. I wondered if a nose ring would be a suitable next step for a burgeoning desi like myself?

Diwali is huge in London? Yes, but it normally doesn't take over the streets all weekend like it did this year. A friend clued me in on the following: On November 5th, 1605 an English mercenary named Guy Fawkes attempted to assassinate the king, blow up parliament and restore the Catholic monarch in his now infamous Gunpowder Plot. Today, November 5th commemorates Fawkes' execution with fireworks and is popularly known as Bonfire Night.

Bonfire Night and Diwali (as it's based on the lunar calendar) fell on the same day this year. So while Diwali is a big deal out here, this year's festivities were magnified by overlapping events.

Good thing I didn't get a nose ring. 

2 comments:

  1. You mean V for Vendetta Guy Fawkes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... Or so I'm told. I've never actually seen V for Vendetta :(

    ReplyDelete