5.7.11

Analog Altercation

In a world dominated by digital entertainment, operations and service, the analog way of life can be challenging. Simple and basic were once words I used to differentiate analog from the complicated digital stuff, but this is no longer the case.

Picture it. 
It was a sweltering summer day in June 2011.
I was on my way to Suffolk to bask in the landscapes immortalized by English romantic painter, John Constable. 

When Suffolk was announced as the next stop, I prepared to alight. Perplexed when the doors did not automatically open, I made a few panicked attempts to open the door with brute force. Sure enough, the train pulled away and I missed my stop. The first train employee I saw heard all about my troubles with opening doors. At that point, he walked me over to the door and explained that there are no open buttons or auto-sensors on these older trains. Instead, doors only open when you push down the window, reach outside, pull up a lever and glide the door open.

Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment