27.11.11

Thanks to Candied Carbs

Hey, I just figured out why Americans are so fat! Kidding. Sweet potatoes seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar and completely covered under a thick blanket of marshmallows. Yes, this is the traditional American Thanksgiving dish called Candied Yams... mmmm.

When did I make this startlingly sweet discovery? I was at an American Thanksgiving dinner held at a friend's place. Tiff's originally from Arizona, but she has lived in the UK for 3 years and celebrates the occasion with food, friends and all that patriotic fanfare each year. It was a highly enjoyable affair. In fact, one of the guests blogged about the meal the next morning. Check it out: http://www.hotandchilli.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-at-tiff.html

The enjoyment started with the food. I had always heard of a dish called Candied Yams, but was pleased with the surprise and delight it provided my tastebuds. The mushroom gravy was divine and the bird was very well basted. I actually loosened my belt buckle while seated at the table. Perhaps not the best form, but the company was forgiving and a perfect complement to the meal.
The entertainment continued with newfound friends. First, the chef... I've known Tiff for about a year. A beautiful human being (and I don't often talk that way). Everyone else was new to me. Upon arrival, I met Sam whose a clever, young Brit on his way to Montreal to have the live/work abroad experience (that's original, right?). Then came a well travelled documentary film maker who sleeps in his flatmates beds when they're out of town, collects womens leggings and likes to play with dolls (right... That's original). Rosa, the hot and chilli Brazillian food blogger immortalised the evening with her take on the night. And Nelsey kept the crowd classy with her ability to coordinate the night (she's an actress so she was conducting things).

The essence of the evening remained patriotic as we literally gave thanks. Before dining, we went around the table and each shared something we were thankful for in our lives. The evening was fantastic and by the next morning, I was lucky enough to have several more reasons to give thanks. xxx.


No comments:

Post a Comment