20.6.11

Back to the Future

Did you know that costume in the UK is referred to as "fancy dress"? Just a little factoid I learned as I was invited to my first fancy dress party! 

The Principal, Hover Board and Doc
When an invitation to a party being thrown by a friend's old flat-mate was extended to me, I happily accepted. I hadn't seen Back To The Future in ages, so I was a little concerned about what to wear... A lot of women peal off their clothes at the mere mention of fancy dress, but I lack the straight face required to successfully conduct myself in such a low-functioning manner. In fact, Biff was the character that first came to mind, but I couldn't find a buzz-cut wig. I then opted for the classic approach and channeled my inner Marty McFly Jr. Yep, my look was Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly.

Cross dressing is always fun, but remember that I don't know this crowd. A friend merely extended an invite to a person's birthday party who was unknown to me. Although I take a moment to remind you of my newcomer status, I did not take heed of this fact.

1. DRESS LIKE A GIRL
First impressions are important, so challenging gender boundaries is not the best way to make my acquaintance.

2. HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN

Upon arrival, I quickly saw that most people had brought along rucksacks with a change of cloths. I, on the other hand, was committed to my inner McFly by not bringing along a change of cloths. Whats more, I had a very spiky wig that was affixed to my head with hundreds of bobby pins. Plus, I hadn't washed my hair in a few days, so the 'do was a greasy, hot mess that definitely did not deserve exposure.

A model of the Clock Tower
3. OVERCOME EMBARRASSMENT
There were a lot of horrendous moments for me at this party: a gust of wind blew my wig off my head while on the patio, I hadn't ever even met the birthday boy, but had one of the more elaborate costumes, an hour into the party most people changed or took off the fancy part of their dress while I remained affixed to my look and upon arrival I inquired about the toilet because I wanted to check my teeth for pesto, but it was occupied. Someone overheard my inquiry so when the toilet was vacant they poked their head out onto the patio (where most of the party was assembled) and very loudly advised: Shelly, the toilet is free. Wasn't sure if you had an emergency before, but it's ready for you now.

What more can you say to that other than: Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment