11.6.11

Wedding Season

June opens up to 3 consecutive wedding weekends and although I'm happy for all my soon-to-be-wed friends, I can only attend one. This is one of the drawbacks to living so far away from all my old friends and family back in Canada. Hopefully I can marry up one day and this will no longer be an issue.

The wedding I attended took place in Toronto, so I flew out and met my cousin (who now lives in Auckland, NZ) at the arrivals terminal - reunited after 9 months! We didn't know it at the time, but we were about to walk into a week long party...

THE RIPPERS
Adjust to the timezone quickly. Drive to Niagara Falls. Slather on some rouge. The Bachelorette party is about to start! The night opened up with a champagne toast to the bride and a few gifts to get her outfitted for the night, specifically a penis-shaped headband and whistle. Appropriately attired, we head off to Peppermints, a strip club! This was my first peeler bar experience. Reaction? Ick!

It felt like the entire venue was covered in a layer of translucent film. Some of the dancers were old (like, saggy old). One stripper was Indian and that's just too much of a cultural paradox for me to accept.

However, the kicker wasn't the performers, but the patrons! One woman was 8 months pregnant and howling up a storm. There were also a few couples lurking in the shadows...

After an hour of this who-ha, we migrated over to a club and did a little dancing of our own.



CANUCK FEVER 
Our boys were last poised for the Stanley Cup in 1994, but faced a bitter defeat to the NY Rangers in game 7. Today is a new day, the Vancouver Canucks are a new team and 2011 is our year.
While in Toronto I had the good fortune to take in a game and a local sports bar. Days before his wedding, even the groom ducked out to watch the game with us! I wasn't in Vancouver, but I could feel the Canadian support as we faced off against the Boston Bruins in game 2. The country is rallying around what now seems to be the national team. I can only imagine what the mood is like in Vancouver...   

WEDDING DAY
After all the preparation, partying and primping (I had a mani/pedi), we hurried out to the door and on our way to the wedding. However, a series of minor time delays had led to a rather extended delay in our arrival at the wedding chapel. So much so that we actually missed the ceremony. Chin up. The reception was next...


The food was good, drinks were plentiful and love was in the air. In fact, love was seated right beside me! I found out later that the bride had tailored the seating plan so that I would be sitting beside one of her eligible pals. When I told her that I wasn't interested she was disappointed. Apparently she really wanted someone to get nailed in the parking lot during her wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment