27.12.10

Midnight Mass

Prince Charles and Lady Diana were married here.
Winston Churchill's funeral was held here.
I became a Christian here?

I went to midnight mass at St. Paul's Cathedral on Christmas Eve. Singing Christmas carols, hugging my neighbors and saying "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" made me feel good!


However, I had an awkward moment with a priest. In all my holiday fervor, I decided to partake in the communion. As I joined the procession, I saw the wafers and wine and realized that I didn't want to tongue kiss thousands of people. So as the priest extended the chalice of wine closer and closer towards me... I backed away and finally made a face to communicate my discomfort. He then recommended that I simply dip my wafer into the germy glass. This was an acceptable compromise for me...  As usual, my smoothness did not go unnoticed. A few people gave me funny looks as though I had rejected god (a bit severe I thought). I felt as though I should go into a naughty corner for a few minutes, but quickly ushered my way out of sight as I left the church.

The experience was utterly magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment