27.8.12

Acquainted with Dom

A few days ago, I planned to grab a drink and deliver a DVD to an acquaintance, but when the DVD delivery was cancelled and I got drenched in a thunderstorm, I needed to bail. 

Now behavioural etiquette standards are higher when dealing with acquaintances. They won't be as forgiving as friends and you can't disregard them like strangers. My plan? Convey the hardships of the day and mutually agree to re-schedule. 

As planned, I just wait for Dom to contact me...

TEXT
Dom: Hey, here's my new number. Grab a drink this evening?
Me: Got caught in the thunderstorm today and on my way home. Are we still meeting? 
Dom: Make sure you bring a broli for later ;). Where do you live again? 
Me: (Weird, Dom where I live) North London
Dom: Okay. I'll confirm a place shortly. 
Me: Getting on the tube, will shout from the other side!

CALL 
Me: Hey, it's Shelly.
Dom: Oh hey, how's it going?
Me:  (Dom sounds funny on the phone) I was with a friend from out of town. Blah, blah, blah...What did you get up to? 
Dom: Insert long, drawn out story about a car breaking down. 
Me:  (okay, I don't think this is Dom. How do I confirm my suspicion?) So... Ugh... Hmmm... 
Dom: What?
Me: (Reference a timely event only Dom would know) Did you hear what happened to Stef?  
Dom: Who's Stef? 
Me: ( What?!@?!) What?!@?! What do you mean "Who's Stef?"?
Dom: I don't know any Stef. 
Me: Okay, what's your surname?
Dom: (Laughing) I'm not telling you that. 
Me: Okay, so who do you think I am?
Dom: You seriously don't know who this is? 
Me: (What the fuck is happening here?) How did you get my number? 
Dom: You called me!

DISCONNECT DISCOVERED
Now I remember! This was some random I met for 2 minutes during the Olympic festivities. I was chatting with his girlfriend at the Austrian House and tried to exchange contact info with her because she was interested in "house-hopping" with us. However, her phone was dead, so she asked her boyfriend to provide his details - Dom!!! 

I immediately apologized for my absent-mindedness and volunteered some pleasantries by asking how he and his girlfriend enjoyed the rest of the Olympics. Dom responded with, "Oh, well we broke up. It wasn't really working out." After expressing my condolences, I hit end call and delete contact.

In all of this confusion, I forgot about the real Dom. He did not follow proper acquaintance etiquette!



2 comments:

  1. This is the 'real dom' and I must apologise as my acquaintance etiquette is normally of a high standard. However, in my defence, I blame the third party who arranged and then cancelled the DVD delivery.

    I joked to him, after he cancelled it, that Shelly and I could still meet up and moan about him. He then told me she would do that, but I thought he was joking like I was. However, if you are still up for meet up and moaning about him I'm very happy to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Hope you're having an amazing time in Vancouver. Let's meet up for a mojito when you're back in town.

    ReplyDelete