28.8.12

Lie to me

Social Media Lesson #1: You can't lie! 

Lying is a vital part of modern day communication. The most socially acceptable of which are the greeting lies - Good morning, How are you?, Great to meet you and the like. It's all bullshit, but it makes the world a more liveable place:). 


With social media tools like facebook and twitter, we're trained to update the world on our every move (seriously, didn't anyone read 1984???). So when we're cutting class or ditching plans, we're more likely to get busted! We can try not posting status updates in these moments, but documenting our lives is quickly becoming an involuntary action. And even if we're extra careful, people around us can tag photos and names so there's no escaping it. And can somebody please say geo-location tracking. 

Little lies can be time-saving and efficient ways to navigate through our already busy lives. Plus, they help soften the harsher moments in life. I mean, most people prefer hearing "Sorry, I have to help a friend move that day" over "Naw, I saw you yesterday and I can't tolerate 2 consecutive days of you". A simple time and stress reliever may soon be extinct because of social media. 

Let's just all calm down and not put so much weight on getting tagged in a photo. Go out there and give someone a hi-five! 

2 comments:

  1. I would give you a hi-five, but I have to alphabetise my sock drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky. C'mon, give me some credit. Although I've been discriminating in the past, I'm trying to come around. That sound count for a 'Like', right?

      I assume you're all about social media? Show me your ways!

      Delete