8.4.11

The Good Girl

I live in London. 

And this statement has been true for the past 5 months. 

Since my arrival, I've celebrated Christmas, New Year's and my birthday far, far away from family and close friends. So I felt elated to be back home in March. 

My entire family came to the airport to pick me up. Sorely unnecessary. Deeply appreciated. 

When I saw everyone, I felt an immediate excitement that prompted me to do a run-walk towards them with a few leaps in between. It was as though I was trying to suppress the urge to run like an inner 8 year old held captive in an adult body that insisted on walking. The week leading up to my trip was mostly spent shopping and I couldn't wait for the gifting to begin. I brought back food, sweets, souvenirs, clothing and even a few accessories and housewares. Watching them assess their new wares made me feel so emotional. I was happy to be giving, surprising and pleasing these people. 

A wisely selected gift has, in the past, urged other feelings within me. Often I've been so impressed with my purchase that I've wondered.... Hmmm, should I keep it? However, no such unfavourable intention entered my mind this time. 

My Nani ate her chocolate covered prunes from Harrod's. My mom embraced me. And 2 weeks later I went back home to London. 

It was great to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment